It may surprise you to learn that the fees you pay cover only a portion of the costs to run the Okanagan Gymnastics Centre. The rest comes from our sponsors and the "Family Commitment Plan". The family of each Competitive gymnast must do its part by committing Volunteer Hours to the operation of the gym.
Every summer, Management sets the rate at which families will be expected to contribute time for the upcoming training year. Here's an example of how it works.
- If the rate is set at 3.5 hours: your child and family will need to provide four hours of volunteer time for every hour your child trains per week; for example, if your child trains 12 hours a week, you'll be expected to commit to 42 volunteer hours over the course of the year.
- Gymnasts & siblings can help to work down your volunteer hours.
- Families wanting to "buy out" their Family Commitment Plan, or who have not completed their allotted volunteer hours by June 30th of a given year, will be billed $20 per volunteer hour owing.
- Be sure to keep track of your hours (recording: name, phone number, date of work/activity, total hours, work/activity done, and submission date & signature). Hand in or email to office.
- If you have a professional or trades skill, rates can be negotiated on an individual basis for you to work off your hours. Please speak with the office.
Volunteer Commitment Opportunities
There are many ways you can work off your hours, and usually have fun doing it!
- Regular cleaning of every piece of equipment in the gym
Many jobs are associated with hosting Cobweb & Ogopogo artistic gymnastics meets:
- Work in the Concession
- Scorekeeping (training provided)
- Moving equipment and stands (setup and take down)